The Five Remembrances
1. I am of the nature to grow old. There is no way to excape growing old.
2. I am of the nature to have ill-health. There is no way to escape having ill-health.
3. I am of the nature to die. There is no way to escape death.
4. All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them.
5. My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground on which I stand.
Thich Nhat Hanh goes on to comment that: “The Five Remembrances help us make friends with our fears of growing old, getting sick, begin abandoned, and dying. They … can help us appreciate deeply the wonders of life that are available here and now.”